At this time, ET is only accepting online students due to COVID-19.
Please send me a message with your relevant information using the Contact tab.
Teaching piano and composition privately since 2010. Students must be older than 10 and have a serious affinity for music. Past students have won honors and prizes in the Music Teachers Association of California and the US Open Music Competition, including first prizes in solo events.
Benefits from having a composer-pianist as a teacher: individually-crafted compositions, sight-reading, theory, exercises as needed. I've been known to write pieces for my students to play on occasion...
Testimonials from individual and university students:
– I have found Eric's desire to foster growth as a person, not just as a performer/student of music, relieving and encouraging. He genuinely cares about the well-being of his students, which for me, enables me to improve my skills more significantly, because I know that Eric respects who my personhood.
– Eric is a charming, engaging teacher who genuinely cares about his students and, above all, a wonderful role model.
– Eric is a talented and gifted pianist who treats his students very well. I feel lucky to be his student.
– Really helped inspire me and teach me to see so many new perspectives of music. Incredible!
– Eric is a kind and caring individual who cares more for how much his students learn, rather than how fast they can learn it. He understands that every student has different levels of experience with piano, and likes to focus more on our improvement as individuals rather than whether or not the whole class was playing the same things at the same level. He also was very good about making everyone feel like the space was a safe space to learn in, going as far as to apologize when this was infringed upon: something I'd never expected to see from a TA or even professor, and this made me respect him even more. Eric is the best TA I've had in my first year here in Madison, and I feel that his level of teaching is going to be hard to beat for any other TA in the rest of my time here.
– He has helped me rediscover a love for playing piano while also encouraging me to do my best and that things will be okay. He is extremely motivational and understanding and it means a lot. One of the best instructors I've had at this university.
(during the transition to online, Spring 2020)
– Eric's passion for the class shows through the scales and repertoire that he transcribes/transposes for our class specifically. Adaption to online teaching was great as well, very fluid with no surprises. Good motivator and supporter for those in the class struggling.
– Eric was very upbeat and positive about learning and piano, and piano was always a highlight of of my week. The assignments were all challenging yet doable, and really helped in our progress in our piano journey. Eric also has handled the transition to online instruction better than any of my other instructors, and the content and assignments have still kept pushing us in our journey. Eric did a great job pushing us with challenging music and by making us play in front of each other, but our class space very positive and inclusive where no one felt uncomfortable. Overall, Eric has been one of my favorite instructors this semester.