I have been teaching piano and composition since 2010. Students must be older than 10 and have a serious affinity for music. Past students have won honors and prizes in the Music Teachers Association of California and the US Open Music Competition, including first prizes in solo events.
Currently serving Madison, WI area with in-person piano lessons, and throughout the country online.
Benefits from having a composer-pianist as a teacher: individually-crafted compositions, sight-reading, theory, exercises as needed.
60-minute lesson + short online sessions
Call or email to schedule a lesson:
Testimonials from individual and university students:
– "I have found Eric's desire to foster growth as a person, not just as a performer/student of music, relieving and encouraging. He genuinely cares about the well-being of his students, which for me, enables me to improve my skills more significantly, because I know that Eric respects who my personhood."
– "Eric is a charming, engaging teacher who genuinely cares about his students and, above all, a wonderful role model."
– "Really helped inspire me and teach me to see so many new perspectives of music. Incredible!"
– "He has helped me rediscover a love for playing piano while also encouraging me to do my best. He is extremely motivational and understanding, and it means a lot. One of the best instructors I've had at this university."
(during the transition to online, Spring 2020)
– "Eric's passion for the class shows through the scales and repertoire that he transcribes/transposes for our class specifically. Adaption to online teaching was great as well, very fluid with no surprises. Good motivator and supporter for those in the class struggling."
– "Eric was very upbeat and positive about learning and piano, and piano was always a highlight of of my week. The assignments were all challenging yet doable, and really helped in our progress in our piano journey. Eric also has handled the transition to online instruction better than any of my other instructors, and the content and assignments have still kept pushing us in our journey. Eric did a great job pushing us with challenging music and by making us play in front of each other, but our class space very positive and inclusive where no one felt uncomfortable. Overall, Eric has been one of my favorite instructors this semester."